Sunday, June 3, 2012

FAY: "Shadows I"

One trend that I wholeheartedly loathe is the prevalence of "snippet" tracks on Soundcloud. This is where an artists - usually in the electronic/DJ purview - doesn't feel like giving up a whole song, even streaming only, so he or she will either stitch together a single Soundcloud upload containing snippets of several new songs, or else they will just upload a minute or two of a longer track as a single file, and it's up to you to read the fine print to see if that was the whole song or if there's more to be had.

It's aggravating, like I say.

I only throw that out there because "Shadows I" by FAY sounds like it could well be one of those snippet tracks, but nope: the fragmented motifs and all-over-the-place beat represent a single musical piece, and really it all holds together as well as any time signature-changing prog tune... which is more than you can say for the average snippet track.

The DIN full length is out June 12 (digital) / July 2 (vinyl) via Time No Place.



[UPDATE 7/23/12: added Co La remix that is probably not worth its own post but which I otherwise can't live without]:

No comments:

Post a Comment