Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Lupe Fiasco: "Around My Way (Freedom Ain't Free)"

 “No disrespect to lupe fiasco and i like him alot but TROY should be left alone. Feel so violated,the beat is next to my heart and was made… Outta anguish and pain. When it’s like that it should not be touched by no one!” he wrote. “It’s so hard for folks to make original music, I possess that, but these dudes are scared of that and this is supposed to be HIP HOP?”
That's Pete Rock's Twitter rebuttal to the new "T.R.O.Y."-sampling single by Lupe Fiasco. I can't wrap my head around this at all. Not only is hip hop as an overall art form centered on discriminating bites from other artists, but the specific beat behind Rock and C.L. Smooth's song "They Reminisce Over You (T.R.O.Y.)" is itself based on a sample of sax player Tom Scott covering a Jefferson Airplane song. So the hypocrisy in Rock's objection is so nested it's like a character from Inception turned out to be one of those Russian matryoshka dolls all along. To get back to reality you need just the right chain reaction of exploding heads to get you through the cognitive dissonance.

Fuck this, I've got other songs to post but a) it's getting late and b) after that bullshit I need a beer.


No comments:

Post a Comment