Wednesday, July 7, 2010

1990: "Mind of a Lunatic", Geto Boys

In startling contrast to the lighthearted wordplay of Brand Nubian and A Tribe Called Quest is "Mind of a Lunatic" from the Geto Boys, to this day possibly the most fucked up set of hip hop lyrics ever recorded. Most of 1990's Geto Boys was simply a major label remix/repackage of the previous year's indie release Grip It On That Other Level, but I'm willing to cheat to shoehorn it in here because goddamn, it doesn't get much more bloodcurdling than this.

After an extremely terse musical introduction, Bushwick Bill kicks things off impatiently with an audibly gleeful romp through one of his favorite rape fantasies:
She begged me not to kill her, I gave her a rose
Then slit her throat, and watched her shake till her eyes closed
Had sex with the corpse before I left her
And drew my name on the wall like helter skelter

Scarface also has female problems of a sort, namely a run in with the cops after he's killed his girlfriend for getting strung out on coke (or it may be her mother who suffers his wrath, it's sort of unclear, but granny definitely gets offed when she tries to run interference). Rather than submit to arrest and whatever consequences that might entail, the erstwhile Brad Jordan decides to go out like Butch and Sundance instead:
No sheriff's gonna take me on a road
Dark as fuck, and let his pistols explode
Fuck that, cause I ain'ts to die
So I reloaded my uzi and fired up another fry
It got me crazy as fuck
A ragin psychotic full of that angel's dust

Willie Dee (frankly always the weakest rapper in the Geto Boys, and that includes his later replacement Big Mike) has no specific bloodthirsty tale to impart, but does articulate his misanthropic nature quite nicely:
November 1st 1966
A damn fool was born with the mind of a lunatic
I shoulda been killed
My sister fucked around and let me live

Who writes shit like this these muthafuckin' days? They just don't make 'em like they used to.

No comments:

Post a Comment